Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.18 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by guillaumeB-2 1 year, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
October 3, 2022 at 6:09 pm #12172573

guillaumeB-2

Hi,
I am building a site in French and this will be the only language on the site.
I have set the language site to French but I am still finding some strings in English from the theme maybe or the wordpress install.
How can I stick to one language in WPML (here French) and use WPML string translator.
Thanks for your help.
Best regards

October 3, 2022 at 6:35 pm #12172637

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

If you want to use WPML with only one language set up, when you set up WPML, you can select "French" as the main language and "English" as the secondary language.

After that, you can simply hide "English":
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/hiding-languages-on-the-front-end/

You can use this method here (https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/finding-strings-that-dont-appear-on-the-string-translation-page/) for looking for strings that don't show up yet in WPML > String Translation.

You can also try to go to WPML > String Translation and at the bottom of the page you will find a checkbox called "Look for strings while pages are rendered". You can enable (check) that and then go in the front end to a page where you have that string showing up and then go back to WPML > String Translation and search for that string and see if it now shows up.

Please let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

October 4, 2022 at 11:26 am #12176603

guillaumeB-2

Hi Mihai,
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated !
I followed your steps and spent a lot of time on the links you shared but no luck :-/
There are still some strings that I cannot find in the backend. See my screenshots.
It's on this simple page : hidden link
Would you mind having a quick look in my backend and let me know what I missed ?
Many thanks
Best regards
Guillaume

2.png
1.png
October 4, 2022 at 7:24 pm #12180549

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi there, Guillaume, and welcome back.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

Mihai

October 6, 2022 at 9:35 am #12192227

guillaumeB-2

HI Mihai,
I have added the logins. Did you get them ? 🙂
Thanks again for your help on this.
Cheers.
Guillaume

October 6, 2022 at 11:31 am #12193235

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Guillaume and thank you for the credentials.

Sorry for the delay response but there's a pretty full queue at this moment and it can take a bit longer to respond.

I can confirm that I was able to log in successfully.

I am spending more time on this and I will get back to you as soon as I have more feedback.

I will leave the ticket assigned to myself for the moment.

Kind regards,
Mihai

October 11, 2022 at 6:28 pm #12222777

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi there and thank you for your amazing patience.

No matter what I tried, I was not able to find the "error message notifications", the ones saying "Please fill in this field.".

I am not sure from where they are loaded as I searched ALL the plugins on the site and ALL the themes on the site and I was not able to find them.

Also, in regards to the button message ("Create new location"), this one comes from the "submit_location.php" file that exists in your current child theme and you can see it here:
hidden link

The code needs to be written with internationalization in mind so that the echo of the string can be found by WPML

That is what is explained here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/translating-the-theme-you-created/

and here:
https://codex.wordpress.org/I18n_for_WordPress_Developers

From my understanding, there's a developer that created all of this and I think he should be the one that should be able to answer our questions:

- where are those error messages coming from?
- he should also implement the button message in a way that WPML can see it by following the documentation above

If he doesn't know where are the error messages coming from, the next team I would recommend that you contact is the ACF support team as they might know that, too:
hidden link

Please let me know how that goes and what you will be able to find out.

I hope that you will find the information that I shared valuable and useful.

Mihai

October 12, 2022 at 6:50 pm #12229761

guillaumeB-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you Mihai!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.