Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 14:00 8:00 – 14:00 8:00 – 14:00 8:00 – 14:00 8:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 17:00 15:00 – 17:00 15:00 – 17:00 15:00 – 17:00 15:00 – 17:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author Posts
September 24, 2022 at 9:33 am #12116137

Sonia_74

I have contacted you guys for months! Now I have a video explaining. I need this fixed or you need to properly answer my questions and find the solutions!

hidden link

Months we've all tried to fix this. And each and everytime its the same issue. Tell us what to do - we need the solution!

September 24, 2022 at 12:48 pm #12116535

Sonia_74

I went through it all again, corrected it, put in the correct links for english on Testimonials, put in the right css id for english form and overlay.....and now it's all reverted back again. So, for the 100th time, I am back to square 1. This is happening all within a few hours. We correct it, it goes back to being wrong.

I am going to make you a login and you will go in there and try it all yourself.

September 26, 2022 at 4:24 pm #12126103

Sonia_74

Why has no one replied to me yet?

September 27, 2022 at 11:57 am #12131205

Nigel
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi there

Sorry for the slow response, we have a long queue at the moment and are getting through it as quickly as we can.

I'm going to need access to the site to take a closer look, although a staging site would be much better if you can make one available.

Let me mark your next reply as private so that I can get log-in credentials from you—you may want to create a temporary admin user for me to use that you can later delete. And be sure to have a current backup of your site.

September 28, 2022 at 11:35 am #12140181

Nigel
Supporter

Thanks for the credentials, I'm looking at your site.

Let me deal with one issue at a time to be able to focus on the problems.

I notice that currently on the home page the link to the testimonials is

1. wrong on the original German page; it points to hidden link, which doesn't exist (the /de/ is wrong), although following the link WordPress will correctly guess that you want to see hidden link

2. correct on the EN page; it points to the intended hidden link

That seems to be the opposite of the problem you describe.

Whatever workflow you are following, it's important that the link in the default language (DE) should be correct, so I recommend fixing that first.

To understand why the EN link may break sometimes, can you please clarify how you are handling the EN version of the home page.

Is the intention that you update the DE original and translate this to EN? You never edit the EN version of the page directly.

Or, are you editing the two pages independently? Making changes to the DE page, and separately editing the EN page to set the link directly on that page?

September 28, 2022 at 12:08 pm #12140597

Sonia_74

We are editing the ENG - when the website was translated completely, we need to check all links. We then noticed the CSS ID's not pointing to english version and same for the testimonials and imprints - they were all still pointing to DE. So we have been manually trying to fix it.

September 28, 2022 at 12:45 pm #12140919

Nigel
Supporter

You must do one or the other, you cannot mix translating pages and editing the secondary language versions of the pages directly, otherwise changes you make with one will get broken by the other.

That probably explains why it works for a while and later appears broken.

If you want to continue editing the pages separately, edit the original DE pages and turn off the setting to use WPML's translation editor (screenshot).

See https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/ for more information.

Note—from that page—you would not ordinarily edit the pages independently, unless you wanted to use different designs on each page, which I don't think is the case here.

If you want to persist with translating the pages, then you should stop editing the translated pages independently, and only make changes via translation with the translation editor.

Your site is set to use the classic translation editor (CTE), but the advanced translation editor (ATE) is more capable, and less likely to introduce problems. But, given that you are already translated pages with the classic editor, updating the settings to use ATE for existing content would mean having to translate it again. I think it would probably be worth it, though, because you may not experience the same issues after translating the pages with ATE.

In any case, you must first decide whether you want to use a WPML translation editor or to edit the different language versions independently, and then limit yourself to one or the other.

If you want to be able to use a translation editor, decide now which one, update translations as necessary, and then stick with that translation editor.

Whichever route you go down, we can then try to fix any problems which emerge or persist.

Let me know your preferences.

Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 13.35.45.png
September 29, 2022 at 12:26 pm #12149145

Sonia_74

Okay thanks for the information, I will review and give this another go. I appreciate your detailed response and help on this matter.

September 29, 2022 at 1:25 pm #12149795

Sonia_74

Hi there,
Apologies - I did not fully reply.

I think the adnvanced editor would suit better. I've seen the differences throughout, and looked at the forums, it seems to be the best option.

September 29, 2022 at 2:25 pm #12150475

Nigel
Supporter

OK, so go to WPML > Settings and update your translation preferences to use ATE (for both new content and existing content).

Edit your page translations, which should open in ATE. You will likely need to add the translated texts again, so you may want to copy them somewhere before doing this so that you can paste them in.

Note that if you cannot find expected texts to translate in ATE you can search for them. ATE by default hides many texts which typically would not need translating, e.g. shortcode attributes and including URLs. You can search "http", for example, to find links you want to translate.

See https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-translate-urls-shortcodes-and-html-attributes-using-the-advanced-translation-editor/

If you get stuck or come across something unexpected, let me know.

October 5, 2022 at 11:32 am #12184981

Sonia_74

Hi Nigel,
I still can't get these links to open in the right language. Also, pages Organisations, won't open in advanced editor, and in the advanced editor I cannot see where links go? I just want to make sure the links are pointing to the proper language. I tried editing in German, going to "translate this page" - I just can't see where to correct all of this.

October 5, 2022 at 12:22 pm #12185615

Sonia_74

Sorry Nigel,
Just re-read all and I can see where to search for links - I am going to try this now in the advanced editor. However, for some reason a few of the pages won't show in the advanced editor? Keeps showing the classic...

October 6, 2022 at 6:52 am #12190671

Nigel
Supporter

That's the case for those pages even though you updated the settings to say edit existing content using the advanced translation editor?

We currently have a bug that you may be able to exploit, in that case. If, rather than clicking on the links to edit the translations while editing posts (or from the list of posts), you send the content for translation from WPML > Translation Management then it always opens in ATE rather than the classic translation editor.

Can you try that for those pages you are having a problem with?

October 7, 2022 at 12:12 pm #12201707

Sonia_74

Can you tell me what the little link does? If I disconnect it or leave it? What is the difference? I am having trouble displaying all the URL's - For example, on the homepage now, when you click on "Learn More", it is going to wrong pages - I need to just update the links but can't find where to do that in the advanced editor?

Advanced-Translation-Editor-WPML.png
October 7, 2022 at 2:05 pm #12202429

Nigel
Supporter

That little icon is for joining sentences so that you translate the combined text rather than each part individually.

Imagine a paragraph of several sentences. It might make more sense (in terms of understanding the text and the context, for the translator) to translate the whole paragraph rather than each individual sentence.

See https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/#joining-sentences

Earlier on the same page it shows how to find links for translation: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/#main-features-of-the-advanced-translation-editor

Link translation can typically be handled automatically.

If you are editing page #1 and it has a link to page #2, then when you translate page #1 the translated page should link to the translation of page #2.

When that doesn't work—for example, page #2 might not have been translated yet and so at the time you save the translation of page #1 there is no translated page to link to—then you should be able later to fix such links.

Go to WPML > Settings > Translate Link Targets and click the link to run a batch job to update translation links.

(Automatic handling of links occurs for internal links; external links you would need to "translate" manually, searching for them in ATE.)

The topic ‘[Closed] links keep on changing within translations – contact button CSS classes etc’ is closed to new replies.