Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client has set the translator to be able to translate all languages, but they still can't click on the pencil icons to edit translations on pages, although posts are working correctly.
Solution:
First, ensure that the problematic page is sent to translation via WPML-> Translation Management. Select the desired user as a translator in the translation basket. After this, the translation can be edited without any issues. Here are the steps to potentially resolve the issue:
1. Edit the page in the default language (Chinese).
2. Disconnect the translation (https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-disconnect-translations-from-the-default-language-page-or-post/).
3. Update the page.
4. Re-connect with the Japanese translation (https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-link-already-translated-pages/).
5. Assign Chinese as the default language.
6. Check the Translation Management.
This issue may occur because the pages were initially created in Japanese, and then the default language was changed to Chinese.

If this solution does not resolve your issue or seems irrelevant due to being outdated or not applicable to your case, we recommend opening a new support ticket. Also, check related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verify the version of the permanent fix, and confirm that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. For further assistance, please visit our support forum at WPML Support Forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Osama Mersal 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Assisted by: Osama Mersal.

Author Posts
May 22, 2024 at 9:16 am #15656580

yenyiC

I have already set the translator to be able to translate all languages, but they still can't click on the pencil icons.

May 22, 2024 at 9:42 am #15656779

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

I would need to look closely at your site, so I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP)
Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated.

Your answer will be private, meaning only you and I can access it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I need your permission to deactivate and reactivate the plugins and themes and change site configurations. This is also why the backup is critical.

✙ I also need your permission to take a local copy of your site to debug the issue without affecting your live site.

Best regards,
Osama

May 23, 2024 at 8:02 am #15661000

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Hi,

Thanks for the access details. I checked the issue and it happened only to pages, while posts work correctly.

In order to fix the page's issue, please go to WPML-> Translation Management, send the problematic page to translation, and select the wanted user as a translator in the translation basket.

After that, you can edit the translation without any issues.

Please login to the staging site using the author account and try to translate this page. (— OMFLOW)

Best regards,
Osama

May 23, 2024 at 10:04 am #15662043

yenyiC

I followed your steps on the live site, and the Japanese language cannot be clicked (see my screenshot). How should I fix this? It seems like the default language has been set to Japanese, which is incorrect. My default language should be Traditional Chinese.

By the way, before this issue occurred, while I was translating to Japanese, other languages were being overwritten by Japanese, so all languages became Japanese content. Then, I updated the plugin, and now I'm encountering the current issue.

1716457421534.jpg
May 23, 2024 at 10:35 am #15662158

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Hi,

Please check the following steps:

1- Edit the page in the default language (Chinese)
2- Disconnect the translation (https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-disconnect-translations-from-the-default-language-page-or-post/)
3- Update the page
4- Re-connect with Japanese translation (https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-link-already-translated-pages/)
5- Assign Chinese as the default language
6- Check the Translation Management

I think this issue happens because the pages were initially created in Japanese, and then the default language changed to Chinese.

Best regards,
Osama

May 24, 2024 at 2:41 am #15665429

yenyiC

So, was the issue of Japanese content incorrectly overwriting other languages due to a bug in the previous version of the plugin? Will this be fixed after the update? Because I can't reproduce the same situation now.

May 24, 2024 at 10:36 am #15667234

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Hi,

The issue might be that the content was created in Japanese, and you duplicated it to other languages for translation.

After that, you changed the site's default language, which caused this issue.

If you can reproduce this issue on the staging site, please let me know the steps to check it.

Best regards,
Osama

May 27, 2024 at 1:39 am #15671747

yenyiC

I don't think I can reproduce the same issue now. Everything seems to be working fine now. I'll contact you again if I encounter any problems in the future. Thank you for your assistance.

yenyiC confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-05-27 01:39:42.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.