Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by duarteG 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Johan.

Author Posts
November 3, 2022 at 11:22 pm #12375157

duarteG

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I am setting up this divi website in 2 languages. I have a domain for the original one (alimentodesperto.pt) and for the second language I have this one (alimentodesperto.com)
On my server we created an alias so both connected to same WordPress.
I add that information on MPML, I started doing the translation, is working fine with all pages but when it comes to the home page the translation don't appear and when I click on the menu it dos not loud the second language.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

Captura de ecrã 2022-11-03, às 23.20.02.png
November 4, 2022 at 12:12 pm #12381437

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

Please provide us with your debug information https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

November 4, 2022 at 2:16 pm #12382869

duarteG

Is ok like that?

November 6, 2022 at 2:45 pm #12392875

Johan

I'll need to take a closer look at your configuration, so for that, I'll need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) 💻

Your next answer will be private, which means only you and I have access. Also after a few weeks access is removed from this thread.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌
You can use this plugin to do this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
It's done in just a few minutes. If Duplicator is not working please use another one, this was just a suggestion.

☑️ Permissions:
✙ I would need your permission to disable and re-enable plugins and theme and to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason why the backup is critical.

✙ I would also need your permission to take a local copy of your site to debug the problem without affecting your live site. So you can drop the two files you will see with the duplicator plugin, in the field provided.

Johan

November 7, 2022 at 1:57 pm #12400627

Johan

Thanks. I will be now performing some tests. It is better that you are not working on your site in the meantime.

Disclaimer: Note that during those tests your site and style might look different, and some features might not work. It is part of the debug procedure.

We encourage you to make a backup, as said before. 🙂

November 7, 2022 at 1:59 pm #12400639

duarteG

thanks!

November 8, 2022 at 8:39 am #12407457

Johan

Hello again,

thanks for your patience, indeed the language switcher is not working, and even from your backend when I switch to see the English page, it goes directly to the pages in Portuguese so we cannot know what they look like.

I think it might be from the configuration of the domain that you have made, when you choose a "different language per domain" we have to make sure that the configuration is set correctly.

You domain you want to use should be pointed to the same host and same root directory where your WordPress files are located. All domains should show the same website (not URL) when WPML is disabled.

In order to confirm domains are set up correctly, please follow the next steps:

- create a dummy test.txt file with some sentence
- Upload it to your root of the website
- Set WPML to show language as per-directory or disable the WPML plugin
- Now visit each of your domains and check if you can see the test.txt file

- example.dk/test.txt
- example.nl/test.txt
- example.net/test.txt
- example.de/test.txt

if everything is set up correctly you should be able to access and see the mentioned file, if not then your domains are not set up correctly and you should check with your hosting for any misconfiguration.

Once this works correctly, WPML should also work correctly with Domains per language configuration.

If you haven’t already checked the link please check the docs on the next link for more details

- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/how-to-use-wpml-with-different-domains-per-language/

I hope I was helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you.

thanks

November 8, 2022 at 9:27 am #12408153

duarteG

Hi,

Can you explain me why is all the pages and articles are working fine except the home page?

November 8, 2022 at 4:41 pm #12412641

Johan

I think because the .com is the root file and that must have been an issue with the root configuration, but anything that as root + / a page its working fine.

Please we have added a similar ticket and they have asked also to verify the DNS configuration of the domain. You can check this ticket for instance : https://wpml.org/forums/topic/a-different-domain-per-language-2/

Let me know when you have made the test previously asked thank you.

November 8, 2022 at 5:01 pm #12412755

duarteG

Can you be more specific?
What is the right configuration you are talking about?

November 8, 2022 at 5:07 pm #12412863

Johan

Please try the following steps to verify the domain have the correct & same DNS settings.
I'm talking about this domain: hidden link

1) Create a text file(for example WPMLTest.txt)
2) Upload it to the root directory of hidden link
3) Then make sure you can access the file from the .com domain

hidden link

if everything is set up correctly you should be able to access and see the mentioned file, if not then your domains are not set up correctly and you should check with your hosting for any misconfiguration.

Once this works correctly, WPML should also work correctly with Domains per language configuration.

If you haven’t already checked the link please check the docs on the next link for more details

- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/how-to-use-wpml-with-different-domains-per-language/

I hope I was helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you.

November 8, 2022 at 5:50 pm #12413167

duarteG

Hi,

I did the test, is showing in both domains.

November 8, 2022 at 5:52 pm #12413171

duarteG

hidden link
hidden link

November 9, 2022 at 8:22 am #12417259

Johan

Thanks. I'm forwarding the ticket to a technical level.
Waiting for their reply.

Johann

November 9, 2022 at 9:54 am #12418293

duarteG

Hi Johan,
Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.