Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 -
- 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 28 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by bergmans23 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Bigul.

Author Posts
August 10, 2023 at 3:50 pm #14184019

bergmans23

Hi there,
I briefly chatted with Noman about this.

I encountered fatal errors yesterday, after which Andrey advised me to check for updates. That seemed to have solved it, but today, nearly every click ( backend editor ) from one language to another takes an enormous amount of time and creates a "critical error" messages. the site does not crash, but I can't do anything in the backend.

I tried to run a Duplicator backup with WPML activated, but that crashed after 1,5 minutes.
I disabled all WPML and ran a duplicate.
After that I re-activated all WPML and tried clicking on something ( Users in this case ) in the backend and got a fatal error again after 1,5 minutes.
I found out that the problem stems from WPML String Translation. When i deactivate that one, everything works, but when I re-activate it, every click leads to a crash.
We wanted to go live today, but that's not going to work.
Hope you can help! this is getting rather urgent!
thanks,
Bye
Ward

August 10, 2023 at 4:59 pm #14184343

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi, Ward.

While you are waiting for one of my colleagues to take this ticket and work on it, let me provide you with the first debugging steps or if I can help with the issue quickly.

Please share WordPress's debug log. Please check this page for instructions.

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
// Disable display of errors and warnings
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
@ini_set('display_errors', 0);

After this, repeat the action that causes the problem on your site. The errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory. Then please share the errors with us.

Regards,
Itamar.

August 10, 2023 at 5:08 pm #14184355

bergmans23

Hi Itamar,
Good to get your response!
I already enclosed the debug info in my first message, but I'll do that again.
After this, Ill activate String Translation and send you athe debug info again.
Bye
Ward

August 10, 2023 at 5:12 pm #14184359

bergmans23

Can't upload the debug anywhere.. no buttons here

August 10, 2023 at 6:13 pm #14184729

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there, Ward.

The debug info that you added initially in this ticket is the WPML debug info. My colleague asked for the WordPress debug information which will let us know exactly what is happening.

Please paste the content on a site like pastebin.com and then share the link here with us (only you and us will see the URL you are sharing). Or you can also use a service like Dropbox or Google Drive.

Mihai

August 10, 2023 at 6:57 pm #14184831

bergmans23

Hi Mihai,
I will do that in a few hours.
I already created an admin account for you in the site, so if you want, i can insert the details here. So you can take a look. I made a duplicate this afternoon.
Bye
Ward

August 10, 2023 at 8:44 pm #14184997

bergmans23

Hi Mihai,
here's a dropbox link to the debug.log file.

hidden link

Hope this helps to find the errors.
As said, all seams to be fine until I activate String Translation.
Bye
Ward

August 10, 2023 at 8:45 pm #14184999

bergmans23

And if you need login creds, please tell me!

August 11, 2023 at 8:56 am #14187097

Bigul
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

Hi Ward,

Thank you for the Debug.log information. Just to make sure, this error happens always in the backend when the WPML String Translation plugin is active, am I correct?

Please fill in the private details fields after a full site backup{mandatory}. I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking. Refer to the following links for more details about our private information-sharing policies.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

hidden link

Also, please allow me to make a duplicator copy of your site using the Duplicator plugin(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) for debugging the issue on my local server. So we can troubleshoot the bug without affecting your live site.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 14, 2023 at 6:57 am #14194751

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ward,

Thank you for the details and credentials. We made a copy of the site and testing it locally now. We will get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 14, 2023 at 2:07 pm #14197729

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ward,

I can translate the posts and pages in my local copy after the following steps. Please try it after a full site backup{mandatory} and let us know your feedback.

1) Switch to a default WordPress theme like 2023
2) Deactivate all the plugins except WPML
3) Activate WPML String Translation
4) Activate the plugins as a group of three or four
5) Switch back to the default theme of the site
6) Translate the posts and pages
--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 14, 2023 at 8:11 pm #14199791

bergmans23

Hi Bigul,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I followed your list and after going through points 2, 3 and 4 several times, I can positively tell you that it all goes to plan until I activate WooCommerce.
After activating WooCommerce, waiting times for clicks go through the roof and result in server errors.
So, conclusion; WooCommerce and String Translation don't seem to like each other very much!
Over to you! 🙂
Bye
Ward

August 15, 2023 at 4:19 am #14200837

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ward,

Thank you for the updates. Have you got any new errors in the Debug log related to WPML while having the following issues?

After activating WooCommerce, waiting times for clicks go through the roof and result in server errors.

Please let me know the exact steps you have followed to reproduce the issue. Hope it will help us to track this.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 15, 2023 at 8:05 am #14201577

bergmans23

Hi Bigul,

Here's the dropbox link to the current debug.log: hidden link

I followed your steps exactly as you set them out in your earlier message.
When I found that things became extremely slow again and failed, after enabling the plugins in groups of three, I disabled them again and started over.
Eventually I found out that everything kept running okay, until I tried to activate WooCommerce, with String Translation activated.

This is becoming a big problem, especially now we passed the go live date twice!!
I've made a complete backup yesterday, so feel free to try your way in the test.russian-socks.com environment yourself! Nothing breaks when you get to the point where things give a server error. You can simply step back in the browser and disable String Translation.

I do need serious help now, though!!!

Bye
Ward

August 15, 2023 at 12:29 pm #14203019

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ward,

Thank you for the details and Debug log file. The Debug log is showing a lot of DB errors. This requires further debugging.

I would like to know the hidden link is a staging/dev site. Because a clone copy of a live site in a similar environment helps us a lot in debugging. So please confirm.

We would like to make sure the issue is existing in hidden link in a minimal setup or not.

--
Thanks!

Bigul