Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 4.76 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mateus Getulio 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Mateus Getulio.

Author Posts
September 20, 2022 at 8:35 am #12084725

jamesT-17

Hi, we would like to know best practices for setting the URL structure. For example

So for example in the future we might want to have a URL where we offer
hidden link
Visitor language: English
Visitor country: Australia
Product: product1
Subproduct: subproductA
Microproduct: sub-subproductb

hidden link
Visitor country: Japan

hidden link
Visitor language: Japanese
Visitor country: Japan

I hope above is clear for our idea for long term URL structure. What is suggested when we have no visitor country webpage content? Should we create a placeholder for each country (lot of work) or should we create a default page for no visitor country?

hidden link
Visitor country: All

hidden link
Visitor language: Japanese
Visitor country: All

Is this all clear? If I am being stupid and this is over complicated, please tell me.

September 20, 2022 at 8:40 pm #12090065

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello there,

Welcome to the WPML support forum!

For the first example you gave, it is possible to achieve by adding a custom English language related to the Australian English: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/

About the other examples, you do not need to set the directories as you mentioned. By default, you will have hidden link for all visitors accessing the English version.

Remembering that you can add custom English languages, but it is not necessary to add one for each active language on the site.

Please check our documentation related: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/#different-languages-in-directories

Please let me know if the explanation above is clear and solve the question. Thanks!

Best regards,
Mateus.

September 21, 2022 at 9:38 am #12093533

jamesT-17

Thank you, so our approach (best practice is)

1. setup on default approach where we DO NOT set default without any custom languages
hidden link

2. in future if we have custom content to show to english speaking visitors whose IP address is located china, we would then create
hidden link
where this custom language content would only be shown to Chinese IP address visitors

Do you suggest a particular tool to serve IP address specific content for particular visitors that works well with WPML?

Thank you!

September 21, 2022 at 10:03 pm #12098831

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hey there,

Thanks for your response.

I'm afraid that the approach of creating several English custom languages for each idiom present on the website is not a practice that we recommend. Moreover, about the IP redirection, WPML currently offers only the option to do an automatic browser language redirect which essentially detects the visitor's browser language and then if that language exists in your site it redirects them to it.

The downfall with this is that it's based on the visitor's browser language rather than their location. At the moment Geolocation is only possible with custom coding which does fall beyond the scope of our support but perhaps I can point you in the right direction:

#1 It's possible to use plugins to achieve it. Please check our compatible plugins list in this category: https://wpml.org/plugin-functionality/geotargeting/

#2 You can also consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link: https://wpml.org/contractors/

I hope that the information above is useful to you. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
Mateus.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.