Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client reported that after changing background images on a few translated pages, those translations reverted to the default English language. The editor on those pages appeared different, showing the Classic Translation Editor with a warning, specifically on the About page and Brake discs page.

Solution:
1. We confirmed that the client was seeing the Classic Translation Editor and suggested that if they need to remove elements on the translated pages, they should disable the WPML Translation Editor.
2. We advised the client to use manual translations by editing directly in Elementor for the secondary language, as they would for the default language. This approach allows for more flexibility and control over the translations. For detailed instructions, we provided a link to our documentation: Using different translation editors for different pages.

Please note that the solution provided might be outdated or not applicable to your case. If the issue persists, we highly recommend checking the related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need assistance, please do not hesitate to open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tenzinJ 2 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Marcel.

Author Posts
February 28, 2022 at 12:57 pm #10677013

tenzinJ

Hi! I have already asked about this last Friday but I do not know if someone is looking into this.
I have a site translated into ~15 languages. After my client changed background images
on few translated pages all those translations turned back to default EN. Editor on those pages looks different, not like new WPML editor and there is some warning. It is About page and Brake discs page.
hidden link

Zrzut ekranu 2022-02-28 o 13.44.06.jpg
March 1, 2022 at 7:09 pm #10690097

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I currently don't see any active support request from you: https://wpml.org/forums/users/tenzinj/. Do you have a link from the support request for me? Was it a chat?

The editor you are seeing is our Classic Translation Editor. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” or "All in One WP Migration" on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT
-Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
-If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Best Regards
Marcel

March 3, 2022 at 2:55 pm #10707395

tenzinJ

Hi Marcel,

Any luck in here?
Many thanks.

March 4, 2022 at 12:25 pm #10715875

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Marcin,

once you force an update on that page by adding a space on your default language,it's viewable that the content got already overwritten with your default language: hidden link

This could be caused by two reasons:

#1 The PL translation was added directly in Elementor and a new page update overwrites your content.

#2 The page had a pending actualization/ongoing translation, which was overwritten by making changes to the default language.

About the Translation Editor:
If you wish to edit the content with the Advanced Translation Editor instead of our Classic Translation Editor, you need to configure the setting as viewable here: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/translation-editor-options/. Please keep this in mind:

For content already translated using the Classic Translation Editor, you should keep using that editor. The Advanced Translation Editor can sometimes apply translations from other sources. However, switching to using the Advanced Translation Editor usually means you would need to translate that content all over again.

I kindly need to ask you to create a new ticket related to our support policy for the database, as we can only handle 1 case per ticket. If you could also add some examples about big tables, it will speed up the process and we will be happy to take a look. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards
Marcel

March 4, 2022 at 1:04 pm #10716357

tenzinJ

Hi Marcel!

Many thanks! And what I can do now with this?
How I can delete About us page from Translations queue?
I can add all of translation for that page but how to prevent this overwrite in the future?

March 8, 2022 at 10:49 am #10738337

Marcel
Supporter

Hi,

you don't need to delete the page from the Translation Queue.

#1 Finish the actual job
#2 Make a minor edit on the default language (such as adding a space), save and you will generate a new translation job, which will re-connect the synchronization of that affected pages.

To prevent this, you only should take care that no users are changing the page manually outside of our WPML editor.

Best Regards
Marcel

March 8, 2022 at 12:51 pm #10739749

tenzinJ

Hi Marcel,
Many thanks, I will try that.

But how make translations if we need to edit translated pages in Elementor, we need to delete some elements, change structure sometimes.

March 8, 2022 at 12:54 pm #10739787

tenzinJ

In more detail: default page EN has all the content but other translated pages need to be edited and reduced. And we need to edit each translated page in Elementor, possible?

March 8, 2022 at 1:52 pm #10740539

tenzinJ

Hi Marcel,
And one more thing, Homepage is now translated except RU version but unlike all the other version is has old editor and EN translations. It was already translated in RU but now it is in EN. How to change old editor to new one on that page?

Zrzut ekranu 2022-03-8 o 14.48.48.jpg
March 8, 2022 at 2:24 pm #10741077

Marcel
Supporter

Hi,

WPML always counts with a 1:1 translation of each page/post.

So if you need to remove elements on the secondary language, the correct way would be to turn off the WPML Translation Editor and use a manual translation. This way, you can edit directly in Elementor, as you do it for the default language: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

Best Regards
Marcel

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.