Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was experiencing issues with their WPML plugin after switching hosting providers. The plugin was not connecting properly, and they were receiving a cURL error 28. The hosting provider's investigation suggested that the plugin might need to be reconfigured due to the hosting switch.

Solution:
1. We advised the client to unregister their site from WPML and then register it again.
- Unregister: https://wpml.org/faq/install-wpml/#unregister
- Register: https://wpml.org/faq/install-wpml/#register
2. We instructed the client to check the Installer Log under WPML > Support to ensure the subscription was working correctly.
3. We asked the client to go to Plugins -> Add New -> Commercial and click 'Check for Updates' to see if any messages appeared.
4. We identified that WPML might be blocked by a firewall and recommended contacting the hosting provider to whitelist certain domains:

• wpml.org
  • cdn.wpml.org
  • api.wpml.org
  • api.toolset.com
  • cloudfront.net

More information: https://wpml.org/faq/wpml-plugin-cannot-connect-to-wpml-org/
5. We performed tests on a staging site and confirmed that the Automatic Translation Editor (ATE) was connected without errors and that WPML registration was possible. We suggested that the server might need to have the IP addresses of our domains manually added to the /etc/hosts file due to DNS resolution issues.

If the solution provided here does not resolve your issue or seems irrelevant due to being outdated or not applicable to your case, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need assistance, please open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 23 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Bobby.

Author Posts
February 15, 2024 at 7:31 pm #15309253

julienB-61

I asked the provider to check the point 3 and here is their reply:

Screenshot_21.png
February 15, 2024 at 10:13 pm #15309630

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Thank you for updating me, please ask them to include the IPs that come from the following domains

wpml.org
cdn.wpml.org
api.wpml.org
api.toolset.com
cloudfront.net

possibly manually added to /etc/hosts file

Based on the wpml: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 45009 milliseconds with 0 bytes received

There was a temporary slow-down between your server and WPML.org please also share that with them

February 16, 2024 at 8:20 am #15310352

julienB-61

Hello, here is their reply regarding point 3:

and Qmonitor stats are high.
Have you whitelisted the pvoder IP at all?

Screenshot_25.png
CleanShot 2024-02-16 at 10.03.34.png
Screenshot_24.png
February 16, 2024 at 8:56 am #15310468

julienB-61

Here is their IP to whitelist: 35.239.178.247

February 16, 2024 at 1:35 pm #15311878

julienB-61

Here si the last update the provider applied and the API connection seems to be resolved.
an issue left is the error message on top of the plugin list.

Screenshot_25.png
Screenshot_26.png
February 16, 2024 at 6:57 pm #15312932

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for sharing the updates with me!

Going to WPML->Troubleshooting->Installer Support and checking the connection it is working OK now.

What they explained in the last screenshot is most likely what is causing this issue and it seems like they fixed it on their side.

I was able to go to Plugins->Add new->Register WPML and then the warnings were removed.

Let me know your results, please.

February 16, 2024 at 7:06 pm #15312952

julienB-61

It seems to be working now.
I'm testing a bit more to be sure

February 16, 2024 at 7:56 pm #15313007

julienB-61

I did the config like on the screenshot with new keys on both env. and it seems to be working for now.
Let's see in the coming hours if everything remains the same.

Thank you very much for your support and your colleagues too!!!
The duplicate Cloudflare was the 1st reason for the connection issue and the 2nd was the attached screenshot.

Julien

Screenshot_28.png
Screenshot_27.png
February 16, 2024 at 10:33 pm #15313253

Bobby
Supporter

You are welcome, my pleasure.

I will wait for your update, if all is well feel free to mark this as resolved 🙂

February 19, 2024 at 7:18 am #15316042

julienB-61

Thank you

julienB-61 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-02-19 07:18:33.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.