Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 5.53 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Andreas 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas.

Author Posts
November 17, 2022 at 2:22 pm #12483115

shalomg

I am trying to:
Disable the WPML plugins to test some performance/conflict situation

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:
Only products in its default language (english)

Instead, I got:
All products in both languages at the same time.

The plugins I disable are the 3 following.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 091835.png
November 17, 2022 at 2:57 pm #12483419

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

That is expected. WPML creates different posts for each translations you create, and they're saved in the table wp_posts as regular posts. Therefore, if you disable WPML you'll all your translations, just not split by language of course.

November 17, 2022 at 3:03 pm #12483465

shalomg

Oh wow.. it's really disappointing that it's the expected behavior. I understand the technical reason behind it but I think that some basic tricks could avoid the undesired situation. For example by hiding the posts that WPML created.

WPML is already a quite intrusive plugin and it's causing around 20% of performance overhead (also expected it seems) and not being to disable it seamlessly is another drawback.

Would you mind please consult with the team if there's a practical solution that does not imply deleting or moving to draft hundreds of products while I do my tests? In the end I need to re-activate the plugins and therefore I can't even think of doing the work twice.

Looking forward to it.

November 18, 2022 at 3:22 pm #12491305

Andreas

Hello there

Thank you for contacting us. I am happy to help you.

As my colleague said, this is the normal behavior of WPML.

WPML is creating normal posts for each language following WordPress behavior. In the end, there is a correlation in some tables of WPML that pointing which post is created in the default language and which posts are created as translations.

So there is no default way to, automatically disable translated content and not show in your website if you disable WPML.

But you can create something custom to disable all the translations if you disable WPML .

I can give you an idea of a similar implementation to sync post status between languages :
hidden link

You can find all of our hooks here :

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-coding-api/wpml-hooks-reference/

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes or if you need any further assistance. I'll gladly help you. 🙂

Regards,
Andreas

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.