Astra is a fast, highly customizable, and lightweight multipurpose WordPress theme that suits any niche website you are building. Its compatibility with page builder plugins, such as Elementor and Beaver Builder, allows you to build beautifully designed pages in no time. Let’s see how you can translate websites built with Astra using WPML.
- Getting started
- WPML translation tools
- Translating pages
- Translating categories and tags
- Translating texts from Astra theme, plugins, and other places
- Translating menus
- Translating Woocommerce using WCML
- Known issues with Astra
- Getting help from our support
Make sure that the Astra theme is activated, by going to the Appearance → Themes page.
Make sure that the WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation, WPML Translation Management, and WPML Media Translation plugins are activated.
WPML offers two translation editors you can use for translating your site’s content:
- WPML classic translation editor (CTE).
- WPML Advanced Translation Editor (ATE) offers affordable automatic translation, a glossary, spell checker, and more!
Besides translating your site content yourself, you can also:
- Send your content for translation to a professional translation service.
- Create your own team of local translators from the Translation Roles tab in Translation Management and assign translation jobs to them.
With WPML, you can translate any types of contents on your site, including pages and posts. For an easy start, read our Getting Started Guide.
In this example, we demonstrate how to translate post categories. Note that you can translate any post type category using the same method.
- Navigate to WPML → Taxonomy Translation.
- From the Select the taxonomy to translate drop-down menu, choose Categories.
- Click on the plus icon to translate a specific category.
- Add the translated text and click on the save button.
See our detailed documentation on translating taxonomies.
Besides contents coming from posts and pages on your site, there are usually some texts coming from other places. Most common examples are themes and plugins.
To learn how to translate these texts, read our documentation page about translating strings.
With WPML, you can easily synchronize your language menus. For more information, please see our complete menus translation tutorial.
Astra theme is compatible with WooCommerce. To translate everything that WooCommerce offers, download the WooCommerce Multilingual plugin (WCML) from your WPML account. Visit our dedicated WCML documentation to learn how to setup a multilingual store and translate your products, categories, variations, shipping classes, and more.
In case you need help translating your site built using Astra and WPML, visit WPML’s support forum.